Sunday, April 5, 2009

My first Blanket - inspired by palcemats(pattern)

Set of 4 placemats -from scratch







On straight US 8 needles, CO 48
>knit 1” in garter
> K4 P40 K4 > K across Repeat last 2 rows to desired length. Then knit 1” in garter. CO with right side facing


I made those in the first week of March and wanted to knit a nice big pooled blanket to go with my placemats. I dont know why I thought I should use P&C Daisy color yarn to match. I guess I just thought it was pretty. Well, by the end of march, I started on this picnic blanket:


I CO 300 stitches on a size 9 circular needle and decided to do the whole thing in st-st. I also decided that I'd do one cone a week, which I've been pretty good about, but my god I'm getting bored with this thing. Who knew that 4.ply cotton could produce so much fuzz...and heat. The thing is getting huge! I've always considered myself to be Obsessive Compulsive, but now I know I'm not. Im on my third cone now and it's about 3 foot long. The pic was taken during the 1st week on my 1st cone.
Meanwhile, I've knit 4 bookmarks and Mandy's Candy Bag (super cute purse pattern by NH Knitting Mama) for some instant gratification. I also splurged on $1 skein yarns at Marden's. Im not sure what I'm going to make with them, but LB Landscapes, moonlight mohair, and Watercolors are good to have. I just keep knitting and thinking about what I will make next to match my blanket...which I've decided is too nice for the grass and better suited for my bed. I'm thinking about a curtain valance to go across the top only and some tie backs. I want acrylic red heart sunflower throw pillows. Maybe I'll add a fringe on the edges to help it from curling? I'd also like a nice little floor rug...all in good time. Thinking about those help me knit faster, so it's all good.
I've been getting support with my blanket production too. My knitting group members ask me to show them how far I've gotten and they compliment the pooling, which makes me feel better. Who doesn't like gloating? lol Finishing a whole blanket with such a simple stitch is harder than I thought. I'm hanging in there though. I wont give up, promise. It's going to look so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment