Sunday, April 5, 2009

My First Entry

For my first post, I want to tell you how I got into knitting and where it's taking me in my life. I moved from the Eastern shore (OC area) to Maine in April of 2008. By November, I took up knitting. It's bitter cold up here and very boring. Really, it takes an hour to get to the closest Walmart, which is hell for a shopaholic! Anyway, there was a video on youtube by the ThreadHeads that showed how to knit a scarf in garter stitch:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKHLEquvqoU

And that's how I started picking it up. I continued to teach myself different stitches, thanks to a friendly little site called Knitting Pattern Central. That site is the greatest! It's a gateway to infinate pattern designers. I found my help on the Craft Yarn Council of America's bulletin board http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/cyca-forum/list.php?1 , which I still check from time to time.

I bumped into Ravelry one day, while looking for free knitting patterns. Now I'm not sure if I spend more time knitting or looking for knitting patterns. All of my yarns are photographed and posted in my "stash" and I have 20 completed projects. I'm very proud.

This summer, I would like to learn how to knit a pair of socks. Everyone says they're so easy to make and "you'll never wear store bought again," but I have yet to grasp the concept. That's my summer goal. I'd also like to pick up tatting and jewelry making. My friend introduced me to an old coworker that did tatting before she got into woodwork (how cool is woodwork!) and she told me she'd lend me some books and tips. He had no idea that she did tatting until we asked her where to find the shuttles. I got Lucky! As far as doing beading goes, there's a new bead shop opening a few doors down from my favorite yarn shop <3 Well, beads and scrapbooking supplies. Those are my other favorite hobbies.

Knitting makes me feel talented, productive, and accomplished. It's brought me a happier social life and has given me a constructive hobby that I can be proud of. The whole teeny boppin 420 and club hopping was getting old...or I was getting to old to be doing it...either way, I wanted to find something that I could take pride in discussing, so here I am, a knitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment